Who does not love the beach? For many of us, it’s our “happy place.” A place to relax, soak in the rays and watch the waves roll and splash in on the sand.
Celebrities, surfers, and beach enthusiasts have graced their heads with beach waves for decades. The salty sea air of the coast grazing in the air makes hair look thicker and full of zest. And with so many loving what the salty sea air does, it is just impossible to always be at the beach. So, how does one get those “beach waves” when not at the beach?
Here we explore several ways to achieve this effortless hairstyle, perfect for a relaxed, carefree look whether you are headed to the beach or not.
Beach Waves Using a Curling Iron
Before you begin styling, make sure your hair is clean and dry. Washing your hair the day before can help to remove excess oils and product buildup, allowing the waves to hold better. If you have naturally oily hair, use a dry shampoo or a texturizing spray to absorb the oils and add texture to your hair.
Heat styling tools can damage your hair, so applying a heat protectant spray or serum to protect your strands from heat damage is essential. Heat protectants create a barrier between your hair and the heat, preventing it from getting fried and keeping it healthy. Nº.9 Bond Protector Nourishing Hair Serum by Olaplex is an excellent heat protectant choice.
Next, to ensure that you create even waves throughout your hair, it’s important to section your hair into manageable parts. You can use hair clips or ties to secure each section and keep them out of the way as you style.
Choose the suitable curling iron or wand: The curling iron or wand can significantly affect the outcome of your beach waves. Opt for a curling iron or wand around 1-inch diameter to create loose, natural-looking waves. Do not wrap the hair too tight. Leave a few inches of hair at the end uncurled. Avoid using curling irons with a clamp, which can create unnatural kinks in your waves.
How to achieve the perfect beach waves with a curling iron
- Start by wrapping a small section of hair around the curling iron or wand, leaving the ends out for a more relaxed look.
- Lift and tease the section when getting to the top of the head. Hold the curling iron or wand in place for a few seconds, then release the curl.
- Repeat this process with all the sections of hair, curling them away from your scalp.
- To create a more natural, dimensional and undone look, vary the direction of your curls. Curl some sections towards your face and others away. This will prevent your waves from looking too uniform and give them a more beachy vibe.
- Once the curls have cooled down, use your fingers to comb through the curls gently. This will loosen the curls and create soft waves that resemble the natural texture of beach waves. Avoid using a brush or comb that can disrupt the curls, making them look and feel frizzy. While running your fingers through, have Nº.7 Bonding Oil by Olaplex on your hands to add a beautiful shine.
- To further enhance the texture and volume of your beach waves, gently scrunch your hair with your fingers. This will help create more defined waves, add extra body and give your beach waves a tousled and lived-in look.
- To make sure your beach waves stay in place all day, finish off with a light hairspray. Choose a flexible hold hairspray that won’t make your hair feel stiff or crunchy.
Beach Waves Using a Flat Iron
A flat iron is perfect if you have short to medium-length hair.
- Start with a dry shampoo such as Nº.4D Clean Volume Detox Dry Shampoo. In addition, use a heat protectant to avoid hair becoming brittle, as you can damage your follicle’s keratin proteins.
- Work a little Nº.7 Bonding Oil to the ends of your hair to get extra shine. Do not apply to the scalp.
- Separate hair into sections.
- A few inches down from the scalp, grip the hair with the flat iron, twist and wrap to hair is wrapped partially around. Then pull the iron slowly down and release it before getting to the ends.
- To create a more natural look, alternate curling sections backward and forward when repeating.
- The flat iron can now be used to straighten out ends.
- Run your fingers through to separate and blend sections. Add some volumizer and a light hairspray, and voila, you are set for your beach waves to last all day.
Beach Waves with Braids
Taking an overnight approach with braids can create beach waves without damaging your hair as styling tools can.
- Dampen your hair
- Apply Nº.9 Bond Protector Nourishing Hair Serum.
- Separate hair into sections and braid lightly. If braided too tightly, the results will look crimped. Use hair elastics to tie the ends.
- For naturally straight hair, consider adding a light hairspray.
- Go to sleep.
- Upon waking, remove the elastics. With your fingers, work gently from the bottom up each braid to unravel the plait. Raking too hard may cause frizziness.
- Shake your hair, and there you have it, beautiful beach waves.
Let Our Artists Create Your Perfect Beach Waves
As there are several ways to achieve beach waves, you must remember that all hair types differ. Therefore, one method may work best for one person and not for another.
At The Public Image LTD Salon, our stylists are experienced in creating the most natural and beautiful beach waves. Let us help you get your desired style—no need to go to the beach. Just impress your friends and make them jealous, thinking you have just been to an exotic island with refreshing salty air.
Contact The Public Image LTD Salon in Wayne, New Jersey, Passaic County, to schedule your next hair appointment.